Greater Wichita Partnership > Live & Work > Housing
A Beautiful Place to Call Home
The Greater Wichita region provides one of the most powerful recruiting and retention advantages — our low cost of living and, more specifically, the area’s wide array of affordable housing options. From new housing and historic homes to country living and urban lofts, the choices are as varied as the individual.
Looking to call Greater Wichita home? Discover available housing options in a variety of neighborhoods at ChooseWichita.com.
Wichita is the eighth-best city for first time homebuyers. One good sign for first-time homebuyers in this city is that it has one of the highest loan funding rates. Over 82% of conventional mortgage applications here are funded. For that metric, Wichita ranks second.
Smart Asset 2017
Did You Know?
- Purchasing a home in Wichita is 31% cheaper than the national median price — The median selling price of existing (previously owned) single-family homes in the Wichita metro area was $156,800 in the Fourth Quarter 2019 survey by the National Association of Realtors. Wichita ranked 35th of 179 reporting metro areas; and $118,100, or 43 percent, below the national median price of $274,900. (ACCRA Cost-of-Living Survey)
- Newly built home prices in Wichita are 30% below national average — The Fourth Quarter 2019 average sale price of newly built single-family homes in the Wichita metro area was $257,033. That is $109,025, or 30 percent, below the corresponding national figure of $366,058 (ACCRA Cost-of-Living Survey)
- Apartment rent is nearly 35% lower in Wichita than the national average — Average two-bedroom apartment monthly rent was $754 in the Fourth Quarter 2019 ACCRA Survey. That is $401, or 34.8 percent, lower than the national figure of $1,155. (ACCRA Cost-of-Living Survey)
- Wichita ranked most affordable city in the nation for renters — With rental costs increasing by 89 percent in the nation’s top 250 cities, Wichita is the most affordable city in the nation for renters with an average rent of $632 per month. (RentCafe)
Compare Housing Costs
Existing Single-Family Home Median Sales Price
Two-Bedroom Apartment Average Monthly Rent for Urban Areas
- Discover the overall low Cost of Living and high-quality amenities found in the Greater Wichita region.
- Catch a glimpse of the Greater Wichita region’s high Quality of Life.
- Explore area Communities to find the next home for your business or family.