Greater Wichita Partnership > Data & Resources > Workforce
Welcome To A World-Class Workforce
The Greater Wichita region provides direct access to the most-trained and most-advanced workers in the world. Here in the heartland of America we deliver pure, raw talent for building complex structures and products. As a world-class research and development hub, the Greater Wichita region’s workforce continues to accelerate innovation and diversification.
The Greater Wichita region’s highly skilled workforce positively propels businesses forward, providing a level of expertise and dedication unmatched anywhere.
Skilled Manufacturing Workforce in the Nation
for Percentage of Jobs Classified as High Tech
of Greater Wichita Employees in Manufacturing (Nearly Double Compared to Other Metros)
Manufacturing the Future
The Greater Wichita region’s labor force is highly skilled, in large part due to the high concentration of nearly 900 manufacturing firms in the area using high technology design and production methods. Greater Wichita area manufacturers utilize precision production skills to produce high value-added products such as industrial-commercial machinery, computer equipment, fabricated metal products, instrumentation and controls, photographic equipment, plastic and composite products, chemicals, petroleum refining equipment and electronic equipment.
- Our highly skilled workforce is why so many world-class companies across a variety of industries locate here, including Cargill Protein, Koch Industries, Spirit AeroSystems and Textron Aviation.
- Manufacturing accounts for 17.9% of Wichita metro area employment – nearly double the national percentage (8.5%). (Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Of the 100 largest U.S. metro areas – Wichita ranks #1 in manufacturing jobs as a percentage of all jobs. (The Brookings Institution)
- Greater Wichita ranks #3 in the percent of manufacturing jobs classified as “very high-tech.” (The Brookings Institution)
- Kansas is one of only eight constitutional right to work states in the U.S.
Portion of Total Employment in Manufacturing Sector
Executive Vice President of Economic Development
We invite you to connect with the Greater Wichita Partnership and we can help identify the workforce data solutions you’re looking for to grow your business.