Greater Wichita Partnership > About > Priorities > Jobs
Growing Jobs & Industry
Aggressively competing for jobs, facilitating investment in the region and collaborating to drive economic growth is at the center of what we do. The Economic Development Team of the Greater Wichita Partnership works in collaboration with partners to accelerate the creation of jobs and increase capital investment through expansion and retention, attraction and entrepreneurship. The economic development strategies of the Greater Wichita Partnership are driven by the Regional Growth Plan, an economic strategy designed to grow our regional economy.
Discover how our team plans to accelerate job growth in 2021 by watching a video featuring executive vice president of economic development, Andrew Nave.
New Business Attraction
Our Economic Development Team actively promotes our region’s competitive advantages to business decision makers around the world in order to recruit new companies to the region.
Business Retention and Expansion Program
We are in consistent communication with local companies to identify needs and opportunities for growth and expansions to increase job offerings and grow existing industries.
Globally Marketing the Region
Through proactive marketing and attraction efforts, we put the Greater Wichita region on the global map. We attend domestic and international tradeshows and supplier events to promote regional investment opportunities to generate business attraction leads. These events also provide a critical platform for regional private businesses and organizations to market resources and services to grow portfolios of work.
The Economic Development Team works with prospects to position the Greater Wichita region as a prime location for business.
To encourage a culture of assisting business startups and entrepreneurs, the Greater Wichita Partnership provides funding and staff support to Accelerate Wichita (formerly the Entrepreneurship Task Force), a group focused on identifying, activating and mentoring an entrepreneurial ecosystem. Accelerate Wichita has a vision to build and support an inclusive, globally competitive and impactful entrepreneurial ecosystem creating sustainable long-term growth for the region through job and wealth creation.
Reporting and Tracking Outcomes
Real progress is being made toward overall identified job and industry growth. Below are several highlights, and we invite you to review the Partnership's 2020 Year-End Jobs Update for a complete analysis.
- Since 2015, the Greater Wichita Partnership has assisted companies in creating 10,362 jobs, $2.5B in capital investment and $514M in total annual payroll.
- To promote regional MRO competitive advantages and attract prospects in 2020, the Partnership team attended the virtual MRO TransAtlantic convention with a virtal booth and held multiple prospect meetings. Concurrently, a robust digital advertising campaign was launched to drive awareness of the Air Capital in three target markets (Oklahoma City, Los Angeles and Dallas). Prospects in over 81 countries were reached as part of the campaign.
- Key initiatives from the Regional Growth Plan accomplished to date:
- Launch of the talent-focused Choose Wichita brand and website
- Creation of the technology council, FlagshipKansas.Tech
- Cybersecurity industry promotion through the Regional National Security Coalition
- Strategic national site selector engagement
- National lead generation firms engaged
- New business attraction website launched
- National digital marketing campaign initiated
- Entrepreneurial ecosystem strategy underway
A key accomplishment of the Entrepreneurship Task Force (ETF) was the launch of the first entrepreneurial accelerator in Kansas – e2e, now named NXTUS. In 2015, ETF launched a planning committee that took the necessary steps to open the independent entity. NXTUS works closely with Accelerate Wichita to cultivate the entrepreneurial ecosystem by activating, accelerating, and mentoring entrepreneurs in the heartland.
Executive Vice President of Economic Development