Greater Wichita Partnership > Industry Selectors > Advanced Manufacturing & Materials > Overview
Factories Of The Future
Advanced Manufacturing and Materials
The Greater Wichita region is the leading manufacturing-specialized region in the United States and home to the most highly trained and advanced workers in the world, making us a global center for advanced manufacturing and materials development. This is where aerospace, engineering, research, and materials development converge to build the future, today.
Employment in the Manufacturing Sector, Double the National Avg.
Existing and Expanding Manufacturing Ecosystem
With a history entrenched in manufacturing, Wichita’s workforce is responsible for generations of complex manufacturing systems across multiple industries. A quick view of some of the companies who are located in the Greater Wichita region provides a powerful perspective on our collective influence and global impact. Perhaps it’s time to ask Siemens Gamesa, Massey Ferguson, York, GE Aviation, Rubbermaid, Pfizer and Cessna — who all operate here, in the hard-working heart of America — why your company should be here, too.
- The Greater Wichita region ranks first in manufacturing jobs as a percentage of all jobs. [Brookings Institution]
- Wichita is the #1 U.S. city for manufacturing jobs, according to a study by Kempler Industries.
- Sedgwick County is a Foreign Trade Zone, exempting manufacturers from paying duty or federal excise tax while goods remain in the zone or are exported.
World-Class Workforce and Talent Pipeline
Home to the number-one skilled workforce in the United States, your business will have direct access to an abundance of dedicated, hard-working employees from a ten-county region that is home to nearly 800,000 people.
Low Costs of Business and Manufacturing Operations
Armed with the workforce to get you up and running and an established manufacturing ecosystem, our business-friendly environment includes few regulatory and fiscal obstacles. Commercial utility and lease rates are well below the national average, helping to keep the cost of doing business low.
- 5th lowest industrial natural gas total delivered cost with commercial energy rates 8.5% below national average. [U.S. Energy Information Administration] [Evergy]
- One of only eight constitutional right-to-work states.
- Commercial construction cost index is 11.5% below national average. [RSMeans Data]
- Average rent for industrial space is 35% below national average. [NAI Martens]
How Research is Supporting Advanced Manufacturing throughout region
Discover additional insights into the benefits of locating and expanding your business in the Greater Wichita region.
Director of Business Development
Contact our team to discover all the ways the Greater Wichita region can propel your manufacturing business towards the future.